Long Island Divorce Lawyer
Experienced Divorce Lawyer Serving Long Island, NY
If your divorce is contested (meaning you and your spouse cannot agree on all the legal issues involved), you can often settle your differences through mediation or a negotiated settlement. Once all issues are resolved, the court can consider the divorce uncontested and issue a final decree. However, when all attempts at resolution fail, couples must take their case to trial.
With Attorney Chris Palermo at your side, you receive valuable legal guidance for making informed decisions and effectively addressing all aspects of your divorce.
Prior to filing for divorce, you must satisfy New York residency requirements. For a court to decide a divorce case, at least one of the following is required:
- One spouse has lived in New York State for a continuous period of at least two years prior to the date of filing for divorce
- One spouse has lived in New York for a continuous period of one year prior to filing for divorce and the marriage was performed in New York or spouses lived in New York State as a married couple
- One spouse lived in New York for a continuous period of one year and grounds for divorce occurred in New York
- Both spouses are New York residents on the date the divorce action is filed and grounds for divorce occurred in New York
Couples obtaining a divorce in New York have the option of filing for a no-fault or fault based divorce.
No-fault divorce grounds are an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage for at least six months prior to the date the spouse files the divorce petition. When a marriage is irretrievably broken, it is impossible for the couple to repair the marriage or reconcile.
Spouses can file for a fault based divorce using any of the following grounds:
- Cruel and inhuman treatment
- Living separate and apart pursuant to a separation judgment or decree
- Living separate and apart pursuant to a separation agreement
ABOUT OUR FIRM
Chris Palermo has a proven track record of success in all areas of divorce and family law. Divorce is difficult but it does not have to be nasty. Whenever possible, Chris Palermo works with opposing counsel to resolve matters amicably while obtaining an optimal result for his client in the shortest amount of time. However, as an experienced litigator, whenever circumstances make a trial necessary, Chris Palermo will always skillfully advocate on his client’s behalf through trial. He has successfully tried all types of Divorce and family law matters. In addition to advocating on a client’s behalf, Chris Palermo will always listen to any concerns, while providing informed guidance enabling a client to navigate through the turbulent and troubling changes their family is currently enduring.
Call Our Long Island Divorce Lawyer Today
Chris Palermo represents a wide array of clients in matrimonial and family law matters and is committed to achieving optimal results for every client. Toward this end, Mr. Palermo or his partner Riley Perry will personally represent each client every step of the way. He pledges the following throughout his representation:
- Your initial consultation is always free.
- Mr. Palermo or his partner Riley Perry will personally represent you every step of the way.
- You will be kept informed of all aspects of your case
- Our Long Island divorce lawyer will return your calls and emails within 24 hours